LLT 841 Spring 2011

Welcome to LLT 841 section 001 in Spring 2011 at Michigan State University!

This blog is our platform to reflect and share ideas.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Twitter Reflection


I think Twitter could be used for foreign language instruction, especially in the lower classes, because of the shortness of the entries. This lends itself to beginning learners whose language skills are limited. I am unsure how successful the implementation of a twitter project would be, because I think if one doesn't already use twitter, it is difficult or uncomfortable to get used to the medium. I think facebook, which everyone seems to be using, might be a better alternative. However, I know there is a project being conducted this semester using Twitter for chinese and it seems to be going well. One could have students write a tweet each day about something they did or something, or one could have students follow German (or whatever language they are learning) tweets, or even set up a group with a partner class in Germany. I haven't investigated this possibility much because I am not a twitter user myself.


I think using twitter in class was fun because it was kind of nice to be able to say 'random' things, and it made me feel more connected to everyone else. it added a nice social dimension to the class and I enjoyed it. but outside of class, i never logged onto twitter. I might feel differently about it if I had twitter on my phone, but I don't. So I didn't really get into tweeting outside of class.

1 comment:

Senta said...

Several of you pointed out the twitter vs. FB. And twitter has the advantage of likely not interfering with their personal life and moving all of that out of reach.

Post a Comment