I liked the chat activity best because it was a really fun way to work with the group puzzle and I enjoy this because you can learn from others while also being the expert yourself on one topic. I think this would be a really fun activity to incorporate in my language classes. I also enjoyed the IKEA exercise and think it would be fun to use in class because it is so motivating to have a real task to accomplish.
My favorite activity was the chat. I chatted every day with my boyfriend so I feel very comfortable with it. Also it is a lot of fun to pretend being somebody else...esp. someone with a PhD :p
I liked the chat, too. It was a good way to get info from one another, and it made me think about how to use that with my classes. The IKEA activity was fun, too. I liked that we used the site in Swedish, which, I imagine, would be like my beginning German students trying to use the page in German. It was a challenge, but with the pictures and a little prior knowledge, it was a task that we could tackle.
I enjoyed the chat puzzle because we all got lots of information very quickly. The Ikea activity seemed to have the most language learning in it for me, but that's because it was in a foreign language for me. The SLA theories seemed to be very sociolinguistic because we were negotiating meaning with each other.
I enjoyed the chat activity, even though at times I felt a little overwhelmed with everything that was going on. I also enjoyed the Ikea task, because there was a goal and in order to get to the goal you had to go through all the steps. It was also challenging, primarily because to me it was in an unfamiliar language. This activity challenged me to use context clues and I think that it would be a good activity to use in a language classroom.
I liked the chat activity. It gave a sense of role-play and an opportunity to interact in a way not so typical of face to face interactions. I think this would also have great benefits for language learning because students may be more open to discussion taking on a differnt perosna. The SLA theory I saw in this activity was the opportunity for students to interact and negotiate meaning in a slowed version of conversation.
My favorite activity was the Ikea activity. I thought this is a great way of using authentic materials and providing a practical task for a student to accomplish. The chat activity was good as well but my concern is whether students would just give all the answers instead of asking questions to get the information. I think the SLA theory in these activities were sociolinguistic as they were related to the context that students were communicating.
I should post this before I forget! For a simple reason that I like babies, I liked Activity 6. I think this can be expanded to a pair and class discussion. At the same time, I think Activity 2 (Ikea) may be the best activity. I was at a loss in this activity, so I could not enjoy it myself, but if I am a language learner, this is a real task, and besides, it has a competition which students usually enjoy. I also think Activity 4 is usually enjoyable. People enjoy chatting although they often digress (which is also beneficial for L2 learners). For most of these activities, task-essentiality (I forgot the right term) is the key. They need to use that language in order to complete the task.
I thought that the chat activity was very fun, although since my group was missing a member we missed out on one of the CALL researcher's information. I learned quite a bit of Swedish with the IKEA activity, which was interesting.
Like almost everyone else, my favorite activities were the Ikea one and the chat activity. Depending on what the specific chat activity topic is (I'm assuming it wouldn't be about CALL researchers if were were administering the activity in our language classes) I think it might be the most beneficial for learning because they have to a great deal of their knowledge to interact with their peers. It seems to me that it comes from an interactionist approach.
I also tried to do activity 5 (the chat with the learners on Ebaby). I didn't like this chat as much as the jigsaw CALL researcher chat. Since the chat was open, I had trouble initiating conversations with people - which was slightly disconcerting for me because I'm not even shy! I found it more helpful when I had a goal that I had to accomplish (like the jigsaw) than when I didn't (Ebaby chat).
I like the chat activity too, it's not only interesting, but also "force" participants to gather information and pay attention to use appropriate language genre. I feel frustrating when playing the IKEA game, because the task guide is not very concrete and clear, and I don't think it's very beneficial to language learning--you don't have to understand any Swedish to accomplish the task if you are familiar with IKEA's website or, if time permitted, you can try every link and read those pictures. And during the task, students won't pay attention to the language itself: they won't try to remember the Swedish words for bed or mattress, it takes time and won't help win the game.
11 comments:
I liked the chat activity best because it was a really fun way to work with the group puzzle and I enjoy this because you can learn from others while also being the expert yourself on one topic. I think this would be a really fun activity to incorporate in my language classes. I also enjoyed the IKEA exercise and think it would be fun to use in class because it is so motivating to have a real task to accomplish.
My favorite activity was the chat. I chatted every day with my boyfriend so I feel very comfortable with it. Also it is a lot of fun to pretend being somebody else...esp. someone with a PhD :p
I liked the chat, too. It was a good way to get info from one another, and it made me think about how to use that with my classes.
The IKEA activity was fun, too. I liked that we used the site in Swedish, which, I imagine, would be like my beginning German students trying to use the page in German. It was a challenge, but with the pictures and a little prior knowledge, it was a task that we could tackle.
I enjoyed the chat puzzle because we all got lots of information very quickly. The Ikea activity seemed to have the most language learning in it for me, but that's because it was in a foreign language for me. The SLA theories seemed to be very sociolinguistic because we were negotiating meaning with each other.
I enjoyed the chat activity, even though at times I felt a little overwhelmed with everything that was going on. I also enjoyed the Ikea task, because there was a goal and in order to get to the goal you had to go through all the steps. It was also challenging, primarily because to me it was in an unfamiliar language. This activity challenged me to use context clues and I think that it would be a good activity to use in a language classroom.
I liked the chat activity. It gave a sense of role-play and an opportunity to interact in a way not so typical of face to face interactions. I think this would also have great benefits for language learning because students may be more open to discussion taking on a differnt perosna. The SLA theory I saw in this activity was the opportunity for students to interact and negotiate meaning in a slowed version of conversation.
My favorite activity was the Ikea activity. I thought this is a great way of using authentic materials and providing a practical task for a student to accomplish. The chat activity was good as well but my concern is whether students would just give all the answers instead of asking questions to get the information. I think the SLA theory in these activities were sociolinguistic as they were related to the context that students were communicating.
I should post this before I forget!
For a simple reason that I like babies, I liked Activity 6. I think this can be expanded to a pair and class discussion.
At the same time, I think Activity 2 (Ikea) may be the best activity. I was at a loss in this activity, so I could not enjoy it myself, but if I am a language learner, this is a real task, and besides, it has a competition which students usually enjoy.
I also think Activity 4 is usually enjoyable. People enjoy chatting although they often digress (which is also beneficial for L2 learners).
For most of these activities, task-essentiality (I forgot the right term) is the key. They need to use that language in order to complete the task.
I thought that the chat activity was very fun, although since my group was missing a member we missed out on one of the CALL researcher's information. I learned quite a bit of Swedish with the IKEA activity, which was interesting.
Like almost everyone else, my favorite activities were the Ikea one and the chat activity. Depending on what the specific chat activity topic is (I'm assuming it wouldn't be about CALL researchers if were were administering the activity in our language classes) I think it might be the most beneficial for learning because they have to a great deal of their knowledge to interact with their peers. It seems to me that it comes from an interactionist approach.
I also tried to do activity 5 (the chat with the learners on Ebaby). I didn't like this chat as much as the jigsaw CALL researcher chat. Since the chat was open, I had trouble initiating conversations with people - which was slightly disconcerting for me because I'm not even shy! I found it more helpful when I had a goal that I had to accomplish (like the jigsaw) than when I didn't (Ebaby chat).
I like the chat activity too, it's not only interesting, but also "force" participants to gather information and pay attention to use appropriate language genre. I feel frustrating when playing the IKEA game, because the task guide is not very concrete and clear, and I don't think it's very beneficial to language learning--you don't have to understand any Swedish to accomplish the task if you are familiar with IKEA's website or, if time permitted, you can try every link and read those pictures. And during the task, students won't pay attention to the language itself: they won't try to remember the Swedish words for bed or mattress, it takes time and won't help win the game.
Post a Comment