When I was living in Venezuela, I would carry around a small notebook so that I could write down the new words I learned that day and study them before I went to bed. My tech idea is based off of the struggles I had in doing this every day. When I would write down the word, I would often not have the time to write down the definition too, much less remember the context in which the word occurred. So at the end of the day I would often have a list of 20 words to stare at, but I didn't always remember what each of them meant, so...
For my invention I would like to create a device that can record and transcribe all of my daily speech in Spanish. I would have the option of jotting down in the apparatus words that I wanted to remember for later and it would automatically link the word I wrote to the definition and keep a running tab noting where it occurred in my conversations that day. That way, at night, before I go to bed, I could go through the list of words I learned, read their definition and also read/listen to the context in which the word occurred.
In order to make this dream a reality, I'd need software to record and transcribe oral data (which might be difficult, particularly because I'm sure my pronunciation is not always perfect and the machine would have to recognize my L2 speech along with native speakers' speech). I would also need the capacity to link to a dictionary (maybe via a wireless connection?) to have access to the definitions. Wouldn't want to carry this nifty tool around Venezuela though, would get stolen in 3 seconds flat! :-P
1 comment:
There might be a way that you could create that as a cell phone app. It might not do so well with other people's speech, but you can train it to "read" yours.
Post a Comment