In order to truly understand how people learn L2, I think, lab-based studies, often in addition to CALL, are probably the most important because naturalistic environment as well as classroom studies are too "messy." As we cannot control many variables, we will not analyze any relationship of cause and effect.
I am interested in FonF, so how learners notice FonF is something that I would investigate. Previous research analyzed written texts, but it would be enlightening as well to examine the noticing of oral FonF.
In order to measure the noticing of oral FonF, one of the ways is to use think aloud while giving FonF (which is strange in the classroom). Each time FonF is provided, we can ask the participant to tell what she/he was thinking at the time of FonF. But in order to hide the focus, we need to ask them the same questions at other scenes than FonF.
If I am to investigate the noticing of written FonF, eye-tracking in the classroom sounds so interesting, which is of course, for now, impractical. But in the future, we may be able to create some gadget that allows us to do this type of experiment.
Ohta (2000) investigated self-talk following FonF directed to another student. This was also an interesting study.
As I wrote, I found that I am actually more interested in the classroom research. But again, in order to truly understand the system of learning L2, lab studies with computers is necessary. I just want to understand what is happening in the classroom.
7 comments:
What is FonF?
You mention that you think classroom based studies are too messy. But it is in the classroom that most learning takes place. How do you know that your lab-based studies are generalizable or transferable to a classroom setting?
FonF is Focus on Form.
You should invent that gadget! You'd make bank
Even lab-based studies are not completely mess-free. But at least, it is more generalizable. It is true that most of learning occurs in the classroom, but that is only the venue for learning. To understand the mechanism of learning, lab-based studies are important.
Thank you. Dan. Focus on Form. Sorry Theresa for not clarifying it.
Eye-tracking in a classroom, great idea!
I feel our pain about this conflict between classroom and lab. But I think technology will continue to develop to allow us more of what you are dreaming up. What we really need then, is tools that help us process that data.
Mica,
It would be weird to see a class in which all the students and the teacher are wearing eye-trackers...
Senta,
Yes. Tools. That is where technology came from, right? But now we are investigating the tools themselves with the tools.
I like teaching because I can take my class to the lab as if it were a classroom setting. Then we do activities that they think are normal classroom activities. This is a great way to join the two together.
Post a Comment