LLT 841 Spring 2011

Welcome to LLT 841 section 001 in Spring 2011 at Michigan State University!

This blog is our platform to reflect and share ideas.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Grammar Computer-Based Test

I haven't had much experience with computer-based testing. Most of what I have seen is or done myself has been paper-based. Last summer, my students had to take a grammar computer-based test that the English Language Center was evaluating to see if it was something the wanted to use. My students were beginners and it took a long time for them just to get on to the website and get set-up. They also had difficulty with the actual program. Some of the questions required them to click on words to put them in order. Some required them to choose from a drop down box. I found the majority of the time I had to go around just to teach the students how to do these things. At times, they also had to type in answers and if it did not match exactly what the computer had, the answer was wrong. The students got really frustrated. This test was an adaptive test that would increase or decrease the difficulty based on the answers and at the end of the test, it gives a score. The students kept asking me what the score meant, but I had no clue because no one had informed me. I had taken the test myself so I kind of compared it to my score. In the end, it was a waste of a class for my students because they didn't learn anything and they got a score that was meaningless to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment